So... I get to teach 8th graders about the American Musical. When most people think of musicals they conjure up thoughts of Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar, or Phantom of the Opera. The problem is that I have to teach the students about American musical theater; Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber is British.
My favorite AMERICAN musical has got to be The Producers right now. Last year my favorite was Wicked. What is your favorite AMERICAN musical and why? Porgy and Bess doesn't count, it's an opera.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
"West Side Story" of course, but you're probably sick of it.
I love "Gi Gi." It takes place in Paris, but the music is by Lerner & Lowe.
"Chicago" was good, but it's too racey for kids.
My absolute favorite? "Singing in the Rain." Good luck getting 8th graders to sit still for that one.
West Side Story, hands down. I guess this apple didn't fall far from the tree.
I may be shunned for saying this, but I cannot stand either Andrew Lloyd Weber or Stephen Sondheim (his West Side Story lyrics excluded). There. I said it.
What about The Music Man? Love it. And The King and I!
And I think you'd be remiss if you didn't teach your kids all the lyrics to One Night in Bangkok.
Chess is not American. It's from Sweden I think? Where was ABBA from? They wrote Chess. Therefore I do not have the opportunity to try to explain which Queens they were talking about.
I am showing West Side Story to all of the 8th graders. They can't get past the stage acting. The stunning special effects paralyze them with laughter. Hmph.
The other choice for me was to show Singin' in the Rain. I love that show too.
We performed the Music Man in February. I think the kids would strangle me if I showed that one again.
Chicago is too racy for the kids. The King and I might be OK. Gi Gi might be OK too. I don't know that one well.
Any more ideas?
You could go ancient and do South Pacific or my favorite "Show Boat". I love a base singing "Old Man River" I think everybody loves "The Sound of Music" or How about "Can Can"
What about the happy-go-lucky "Thoroughly Modern Millie"? And could life go on without "Fiddler On the Roof"? There was "The Zulu and the Zeda"(A Jewish grandfather), Not well known but some memorable music like "Melvin,(or Mervin)The One Hundred and Forty Second Fastest Gun In The West" It did have a couple of really good numbers besides that.
What about "HAIR". I'm not sure if they were all American, but they had some pretty good stuff. I guess I need to update my musical repertoire. I know repetition can lead to dislike, but most of the people I know were struck by the opening of "Phantom". It speaks to that part of each of us that loves something chancy and daring... perhaps dangerous (Yeah, I have a bad boy thing going on right now)
I think maybe musicals only make sense to the the fanciful part of our make-up. But then...so does Creme Brulee...
"Gi Gi" is charming and it's pure entertainment. The parents might protest if they find out you're showing the precious darlings a musical about a prostitute, but it's all really pretty innocent, unlike your students.
One thing we're all forgetting, some of the best Broadway talent went to work for Disney; "The Little Mermaid," "Beauty and the Beast," "Aladin," "The Lion King" . . .
I LOVE "The Lion King" and I firmly believe these movies count as some of America's best musicals.
By the way PMT, "The Phantom of the Opera" is yummy, but it's a British musical.
Do they have a DVD of the American stage version of "The Full Monty?"
There I go trying to get you in trouble again.
Oh good grief... was "Irving, The One Hundred and Forty-second Gun in the West"
Don't go doing anything crazy like teaching about mistresses and the like. Parents might faint, the earth could quake, fire might erupt from Long's Peak. You get the picture.
The last musical I saw was "The Full Monty" It was great and not that risky The best part was the man sitting on the john naked wrapped it saran wrap,eating potato chips and worrying he was too fat
WD you forgot "Mary Popins"
Of course all of the fabulous Disney cartoons are musicals. Aladdin and Mary Poppins count. The Full Monty would probably go on the "Creative Ways to Get Fired" list.
South Pacific would be OK except I didn't like the music even when I played the show.
Thoroughly Modern Millie couldn't really be shown here because of the racism aspect. We see it as fairly benign, but the anti-Asian bit is pretty strong.
How can anything from "The Zulu and the Zeda" be memorable? I have never heard of the play. That must be hole in my upbringing. LOL
I just want to say that your mom and my mom are henceforth forbidden to refer to men as "yummy" or the like when commenting on our blogs. Just sayin'. (Aunt Bobby, that goes for you, too.)
My Fair Lady has some great music, but I hate the way it ends. I always want her to tell Professor Higgins to stuff it while she runs off to make a new life for herself. Ah, well. They never listen to me.
Could you get your hands on a copy of Bring in 'Da Noise, Bring in 'Da Funk? Airan and I saw it when it was on broadway, and it was incredible. Just too amazing for words. And it would bring some multiculturalism into your classroom. Some of the themes might be a touch mature, though -- I'm not sure what we think 8th graders can "handle."
I have shown the "Muppet Movie" but the older kids don't get all the jokes.
"I'm afraid I'm lost."
"Have you tried Hare Krishna"
Jack is absolutely appalled that I don't know the "Ballad of Irving."
Then there's "Alferd Packard, the Musical" brought to you by the same folks who produce "South Park."
You can teach the kids about music and nutrition.
And Kelly, we will refer to men as yummy whenever we want. Deal with it.
"Alfred Packer, The Musical" would hit the Colorado history piece too!
Post a Comment