Hooray! I only have one more performance left for this school year. I just finished the 4th grade program last night. Some of you may know that I tend to bite off more than I can chew. For this particular program I decided that the 4th graders were going to write their own Colorado History program. I figured out fairly quickly that trying to have 50 ten-year-olds write/direct/choreograph/produce their own play is just one step to the right of "Lord of the Flies." It is also similar to herding cats.
So here is the summarized timeline this year:
September-talk about what a Colorado Program should look like.
October-start to learn songs about Colorado and divide kids into groups to write/choreograph play.
November-Curse wildly because play is not coming together. Postpone play to May.
December-Work on other things(Medieval music).
January-Work on other things (Music theory, songs, singing).
February-Review Colorado songs from November. Panic because kids don't remember songs from November. Have class vote on storyline. assign writing group story, choreogrpahy group songs
March-Panic. Panic. Panic. No story yet.
April-Panic because story is not complete. Audition kids for parts.
May-Cannot seem to run completely through the show. Dress rehearsal is really scary.
May 8-Showtime. AAAAGGHHH! Must give up control. Must give up control. (Mantra-like)Kids will be cute. Parents will be impressed with their kids. AAAAAGGHHHH!!
I feel much better now. How are you all doing?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm sure it will all be great and the parents will love it! Don't stress! I wish I could come see it -- I'm sure it will be a blast. I do hope they include Alfred Packer in the play.
They didn't include Alfred Packer but they did include the astronaut Scott Carpenter. I even learned a little from this play. Did you know that Colorado has a state butterfly? The Hairstreak Butterfly.
Did I ever mention what a completely cool person you are? Yes, the parents would have enjoyed the program even if you got the kids to drool in unison. Pictures would be taken. Tears would be shed. "How can they be growing up so fast" would still be the main parental thought. What you accomplished with them is a one of those memory markers parents will think about long after the kids are out of school. You definitely deserve the summer off!
By the way, What does the Hairstreak Butterfly look like anyway. It's sort of hard to picture.
Post a Comment