Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Pictures Part III






On Tuesday we left Plymouth for Glastonbury, Bristol, Bath and Chester. We were in Glastonbury just a day or two before the big music festival there. We spent about 20 minutes in the ruined Abbey where we found the place where Joseph of Arimathea planted a staff in the ground that grew into a thorn tree. The original is no longer there, but we got a picture of Thorn Tree II. We also saw the official burial site of King Arthur. The abbeys in England and Scotland were closed down by Henry VIII when he booted the Catholic Church. I guess he ordered the roof taken off and the stones were up for grabs by the civilians for there walls and walkways. Pretty sad. Apparently on his deathbed Henry VIII was remorseful of having this particular abbey destroyed.








We didn't see the vicious Chicken of Bristol. I was dissapointed.

Here is a picture of the Pump Room in Bath. Jane Austin fans will be excited. I believe this site was featured in Northanger Abbey.


No comments: