I have found that my taste in movies is very narrow while my taste in books is fairly broad. The only movies that I watch are Action/Adventure/Comedies or cartoons. I'm not sure when this happened. I think I must have watched a movie at one point and decided that it wasn't worth my time. I know that I have a hard time sitting still and watching a movie. I tend to fidget if I am not totally buying into whatever I'm watching. Yesterday we went to see "Meet the Robinsons." It was great! I really enjoyed this movie. There were a ton of visual "throw away" gags and some Disneyland references that I thouroughly enjoyed. Today I walked a 10K on the treadmill while watching "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and" Temple of Doom." I love those movies.
Jack chose to watch "Little Miss Sunshine" while he ran on the treadmill. I couldn't watch it. I know it is supposed to be a great film but there are several really uncomfortable moments that I couldn't be with. I have had some similar reactions to books, but for some reason I can deal with it a little better when it is a written story.
My group of friends here in Colorado have created a label called "Heather Movies" that encompass the aforementioned movie categories. They know better than to ask me if I want to see anything really thought-provoking or scary. I suppose I just want to be entertained by watching the good guys win. By the way, we didn't finish "Little Miss Sunshine." We stopped watching when the group was trying to get "Grandpa" out of the hospital. We both felt a little sick at this point. (Blech) -So we turned to the New Jersey/Tampa Bay hockey game.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm going to try to watch "Borat" pretty soon. It's wierd because, as you know, I'm a real prude.
But I herd an Terry Gross on "Fresh Air" interview Sash Beran-Cohen, and he sounded like a nice, thoughtful man. I was surprised to learn that he is an observant Jew. He tries to keep kosher when he can and he loves spending time with his family.
He can satirize anti-semitism because he knows what it feels like to be on the receiving end.
Don Imus on the other hand ...
Well, I like "Raiders" and "Star Wars" to, and sometimes critical favorites leave me scratching my head and saying "Is it me?"
Uncle Richard chooses movies that I would never pick on my own, and sometimes I enjoy them. I often watch movies that chase him out of the room.
My credo? Watch what you like and change the channel or find something else to do when there's something on you don't like.
However, give things a chance; you might learn something.
My all time favorite is "Casablanca". There is something about giving up individual needs for the good of the all. Besides it has the best lines even if they have become trite with over use
I've found that since the girls were born, I can no longer watch violent movies, your Quentin Tarantino flicks and whatnot. Mind you, I've always disliked the violence, but I was able to watch those movies and appreciate the message. Now, the very idea of watching them makes me recoil with horror. I think it's because I want to imagine a world where such things don't exist, for the girls' benefit. I think I'll be sticking to the Pixar movies for now.
After getting half-way through "Borat" I've decided I hate it.
The humor is mean and there are way too many naked fat guys. (One is way too many.)
P.S.
My favorite movie of all time is "The African Queen." Now there's a real romance for you.
African Queen was Grandma's favorite movie, too. The first time I saw the whole movie was with her. I can't remember if Kelly and I spent the night with Grandma that time or if I was with Jim. I wasn't even interested in Borat after watching the trailers. It seemed really mean-spirited to me too. Life is too short to spend seeing naked people who shouldn't be so.
Post a Comment