Saturday, April 7, 2007

End of the Season


Well friends, I'm afraid it's the end of the season-hockey season that is. The Colorado Avalanche has two regular season games left and must win both in order to be in the payoffs. The other part is that the Calgary Flames need only gain one point in order to scoot us right out of the playoffs. Tonight we have a standing bet with our friends Jim and Ronda who are die-hard Nashville Predators fans; two bottles of wine for the winner. I have a bad feeling about this. . .

I know it may suprise some of you to learn that I am a hockey fan. Why hockey? Maybe it is because there is no band performance during a hockey game. I have spent several years of my life watching football and basketball, and occasionally wrestling and volleyball, because it was part of my job. There was no room for enjoyment because I had to watch the officials instead of the game. During a hockey game I can sit back and relax. I can admire how the heck they can skate that fast and not fall down on their rears.

I am not saying that the Avs will lose tonight against the Nashville Predators, I'm saying that I think the Calgary Flames will win against the Edmonton Oilers simply because the Oilers have lost something like 18 games out of the last 20. Maybe the Oilers will be fighting-mad enough to beat the Flames. Unlikely, but I can still hope.

As of this post the Avs are winning in the first period 1-0 and we are on a power play due to a Predator foul. I'll give you an update after the game at some point. GO AVS!

No comments: