Tuesday, September 4, 2007
Peaches!
I bought a 1/2 bushel of peaches this weekend from one of the many farmer stands in Palisade. I spent the evening tonight peeling the fuzz off the peaches and placing them in baggies to freeze. I got more than half the box processed this evening. Now I need peach recipes! Jack doesn't like peaches so it will be for me, myself, and I. YUM!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Jack doesn't like peaches?! What's wrong with him?
Having worked for a summer as a peach packer in Palisade, I now have very high standards concerning peaches. Nothing I find in the local produce departments can even come close.
Peach Crisp
1 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
Pinch of salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, what ever spices you like
1 T. lemon juice
6-8 cups sliced peaches
Place dry ingredients in the bown of a food processer. Cut the butter up into chuncks and put them in the processr.
Run the processer until the butter is cut into the dry ingredients.
Put the peachs in a large (2 qt.) baking dish and sprinkle with lemon juice. Sprinkle the stuff from the food processor on the peaches. (How's that for cooking terms?)
Bake in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until top is crispy and the whole thing is bubbly.
Very good warm with vanilla ice cream.
How can Jack not like peaches?
I'm looking forward to the peach crisp. Kelly, I knew you would have definite opinions concerning peaches after your peach-packing summer.
That recipe works well with any stone fruit, and it's especially good with apples. I've always used Golden Delicious, but use whatever cooking apples you like.
AND, it's easy to cut the recipe in half for two (or one) people.
I have a peach crisp in the oven now, but I tried the recipe out of the cookbook Aunt Joan gave us for our wedding. I am trying Aunt Joan's recipe tomorrow. I figure I can freeze whatever I don't eat this weekend. I can't wait to try them!!!
I'm with Kelly - who doesn't like peaches? Jack is missing out - big time. If only you lived closer...I would help you polish off the cobbler :) Jimbo doesn't eat sweets (which is really more offensive than Jack not eating peaches), so I know what it's like to bake for one (fattening!).
Jim used to love candy. He's never been one for chocolate, but he used to love fruit candy. Isn't it strange that our tastes change as we age. By the way, I'm eating a homemade chocolate chip cookie as I write this. I have this rule that states if a student says "I can't" he/she owes me 1 dozen cookies. Usually if someone says they "can't" do something it's real "won't." After I prove them wrong I charge the cookies. A kid just paid up.
Jack doesn't like peaches.
Herbie doesn't like to make toys.
(Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer)
Richard Nixon doesn't like tape recorders.
(Woodward and Bernstein)
Freud doesn't like mood rings.
(and maybe his mother)
Jimmy Hendrix doesn't like accordions.
(maybe he's into harps now)
What else do famous people dislike?
Jack
Here's your next post, Heather: What do we all dislike that everyone else thinks we're crazy for disliking? I have a list a mile long. (Although nothing so crazy as peaches. I mean, come on!)
Post a Comment