Friday, September 28, 2007

Fiber is My New Friend

Warning: This is too much information. Do not read it if you are eating lunch.

Fiber has never been that important to me in the past. I always tried to make sure I was getting something, but I really didn't pay too much attention. My recent illness has made it difficult for me to be "regular" because I couldn't keep food down and everything I was/am taking is designed so I can cough junk out of my lungs. I have been drinking plenty of water, so you can understand why I might be confused over my increased irregularity. You see, I'm regularly irregular. I'm OK with that.

Yesterday, Thursday, I actually tried to do my business for the first time in about two weeks. Well, things didn't happen the way they "usually" happen. Let's leave with this: I had an unusual adventure involving Walgreens and new medications/proceedures. I had to make THREE trips to Walgreens. My dear, sweet mother, whose intestines I have apparently inherited, was trying not to give me too much info so that I would actually go through with the proceedure. She knows that I procrastinate. At one point, because I am so unfamiliar with this part of the pharmacy, I had to have a young pharmacist, hilariously nervous, help me find the right whatsit. I purchased the wrong whatsit and was very confused by the label. The label said that they added a great new lemonade flavor. I was so confused because I didn't think that I would notice any flavor additions. My dear sweet mother was laughing so hard. We were talking on the phone in between Walgreens trips. She told me to go back because I bought the wrong whatsit. It was a much more expensive whatsit than I needed. So instead of the $25 whatsit (times two), I just needed the $1.50 whatsit (times two).

So after my third trip home from Walgreens, I got to learn about a new kind of discomfort. Luckily I was by myself for the evening and could actually verbalize how uncomfortable I was without worrying my family. I did have to shut the cat out of the room. I know he was trying to be helpful, but the position I had to be in was not condusive to playing with a cat. He kept trying to rub my legs; not helpful in this position. With my head on the floor, I did get to notice just how dirty the floor is. I should probably clean that before I have house guests. The end result; it seemed to have worked out just fine. I now stock my pantry with prunes and dried cherries. LONG LIVE FIBER!!!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

What if I'm eating dinner? Can I read it then?

To quote my hero, Alton Brown, "I pity the fool who doesn't eat enough insoluble fiber."

Heather said...

True that! Don't read it during dinner either. Blech! I think I invented new words for discomfort yesterday.

What Dreams said...

The last time I had to use a whatsit was when I was in labor with Kelly. I still remember the nurse yelling at me because I couldn't hang on the stuf she squirting up my whatsit. I tried to explain to her that there was a baby's head pushing the stuff back out. You'd think a nurse might have had a clue about that.
Not a pleasant time.
P.S. I don't know what flavor it was.

Anonymous said...

I can imagine yor mother laughing too hard to give you instructions. Aw well it's just something you have to go thur on your own.

Heather said...

WD: I'm amazed they didn't wait until after labor. I'm also amazed that a nurse wouldn't realize that you are in labor and you cannot physically do that. Wow.

AB: I would much rather do this sort of thing on my own than have someone else doing it for me, although I know I strained some muscles.

What Dreams said...

I had Kelly in a military hospital. That explains why the nurses were not quite on top of things.