How do you tell someone that there's something hanging from their nose without embarrassing them?
How about if their fly is down?
I know things are different for kids and adults. It's usually easy for me to tell people when they have a problem, however I find people don't always tell me when I have a problem.
I was thinking back to my job several years ago. I taught two classes with my fly down and no one told me. When I asked them about it later they said they didn't want to embarrass me. Hmm... I guess that backfired. I now have a fear of my fly being down. I have to check several times each day just to make sure that I'm not flashing people my underwear. You may think that I am being paranoid. I am not. I find my fly down about once every two months or so. I happen to wear my shirts untucked just in case I miss it. I know you're thinking "She cannot possibly miss zipping up that often". I do. Most of my slacks have two or three buttons, so I occasionally miss the zipper. When you have 2 minutes to get to the bathroom before your next class, you're going to be in a hurry. Is it too much to ask for a clue that my fly is down? Do you think that middle school students are malicious enough to let me go on in that state? I always tell people when their flies are down. What happened to Karma?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Maybe it's time to switch to button flies? Or elastic waistbands with no fly at all?
This is such an uncomfortable issue. I try to always tell people if they have a fly hanging open or food on their face or whatnot. But it's so hard, especially if it's someone you don't know well! You embarrass them while trying to save them from greater embarrassment, and make yourself uncomfortable in the process. Which is not to say that you shouldn't do it. But I'm not surprised that middle schoolers and even high schoolers don't quite have that social skill nailed down yet.
I agree with Kelly. The age of your kids has more to do with it than anything. They are very self consceince about their bodies and everything. It does take a person with a lot of self worth to tell another person their fly is down.
The middle school kids aren't telling you your fly is down because they're giggling behind their hands and having too good a time at your expense.
I'm surprised you didn't pick up on that - you were both in middle school once.
I try to always wear a shirt long enough to cover my fly too. At my age I have to run the to potty in a hurry, and I forget.
Let me take this opportunity to say, "Happy birthday, Jack!!"
Post a Comment