My book reading habits have been a little more purposeful in the past 2 years, or so. My plan is to fill in the gaps in my knowledge. Here is what I have managed to consume recently (this past year):
All of the OZ books and the non-OZ L. Frank Baum books
Machiavelli-The Prince
Dante-Divine Comedy
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (much more bizarre than the classic Disney Cartoon)
The Illiad
The Odyssey
Canterbury Tales (blush)
Next up for this year is:
Cannery Row
5 Russian Short Novels
Turgenev-First Love
Dostoevky-The Eternal Husband
Solzhenitsyn-The Incident at the Krechetovka Station
Tolstoy-The Death of Ivan Ilich
Chekhov-Ward Six
Beowulf (reread before the movie comes out)
How to Read Literature Like a Professor (Will be moved to the front of the line as soon as I get it.)
On the shelf is also some Greek Tragedies, more Steinbeck, 1001 Arabian Nights, Poe, Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Don Quixote, and The Sound and the Fury (Yes, I haven't read it yet). Any of these will be set aside, of course, if something resembling a book comes from Robert Jordan (sigh. I must have closure.).
I know that I may never catch up to Grandma, but I would like to be well-read. Any suggestions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Robert Jordan! Finish that last book! Don't die! Have you heard any updates on his health? You know he's sick, right? He must give us closure! Oh, and I hope he gets better.
LOVE the Steinbeck. You will love it, too. Cannery Row is great. Then read East of Eden, if you haven't already.
The Russian authors, however, I don't so much care for. Have fun with them.
I've been reading almost not at all for the last two years. (Gee, I wonder why.) I've only just started to read for pleasure again, and it makes me so happy! I've been really into John Scalzi lately. I recommend his Old Man's War if you're in the mood for some sci fi.
Did I tell you about the Medieval Lit class Airan and I took at UNC, where everyone was constantly judging others based on how many times they've read Beowulf? Sheesh. I've read it twice, once in high school and once in college, and that's enough for any lifetime.
I will give it try. Thanks!
I have just read it once. I forgot that you took a Medieval Lit class. I remember being really bored the first time, however with my new background knowledge in Greek epics I hope that I will get more out of it this time.
Add to your list Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude. It is incredible.
When I was in junior high school. Mom and Dad bought an Collers' encyclopedia set and the Harvard Classics. I read 1001 Arabian Nights to your mothers. Also The Illiad and The Odyssey (loved that but The Illiad not do much) Some of Alexander Dumas and some of Dickons. Then lost interest. Maybe I was too young.
Books that I have been reading lately are my favorite --historical fiction:
Bernard Cornwell;The Archer's Tale , Vagabond, Heretic
Anya Seton's books
Elizabeth Chadwick all of her books the last two ' The Greatest Knight and The Scarlet Lion -The story of William Marshall
Sharon Kay Penman-medievel fiction
Barbara Wood- The Blessing Stone
James Michener Caravans writen in the 60's about Afghanistan after WW II- It has not changed!
Here's another modern classic for you: The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. It's a really powerful collection of stories about American soldiers during the Vietnam War.
It all sounds fascinating. Most of these books I have never heard of. Cool!
Anya Seton's book Katherine is written about Kathrine de Roet and John of Gaunt. Kathrine's brother-in-law was Geoffrey Chaucer.
That's a pretty impressive list. Don't forget to have fun.
"The Sound and the Fury" is a quick read; emotional but quick. Don't be afraid of it.
Steinbeck, what can I say. I took a Major Authors class on Steinbeck and his books are so much fun I fill like I got away with something by getting upper-level credit for the class. "The Winter of our Discontent" is one of his best.
I see no Willa Cather on your list. Tsk. You should read "Oh Pioneer" and "My Antonia" before you die. Again, these books are fun.
I hear the "Beowulf" goes over big in inner city schools where they can't get students involved in "The Scarlet Letter." Go figure.
Appearantly feudalism is a lot like gangs, and the kids can relate to it.
Lately, I've been fascinated by American history. Walter Isaacson's biography of Benjamin Franklin was almost as much fun to read as any Janet Evanovitch novel.
Read the Russian authors if you think your too cheerful and don't cry enough. Otherwise, don't bother.
I'm with Aunt Bobby on the Odyssey. Odyseus literly screwed his away around the Mediterranian while his faithful wife Penelope waited for him. Times haven't changed all that much.
Good luck on your list, but remember, while reading stimulates your thought process and deepens your understanding of the human condition, it's mostly supposed to be fun.
I love all of you. You have such great insight and humor.
I agree with Mom on The Winter of our Discontent. Make sure that one is on your list!
But she is right -- reading should be fun! Get some brain candy in there! Too bad Connie Willis doesn't have anything new out.
My list is always tentative based on the availability of new Sci fi/fantasy books.
Post a Comment