Friday, November 2, 2007

I love my Ipod!

There are some really great uses for the Ipod, aside from the obvious listening to music or watching movies. Jack is using my Ipod to record his graduate classes by using a mic that plugs into the bottom of the Ipod. It records directly on to the Ipod and we can download it to our computer to share or burn to disc. This is pretty cool when you think about it from the standpoint of a music teacher. I can record auditions for kids on my Ipod, take it home and download the sound file onto my computer, then burn it to disc to send to wherever it needs to go. I can record rehearsals and concerts for later study, as well. I have stumbled upon some great Podcasts in my adventures. I have about 200 Podcasts dealing mainly with percussion and trombone-playing (David might like the trombone podcasts).

I found a pretty funny podcast called "Opera Now" (it cannot possibly be related to the British magazine of the same name). This Podcast was a strange blend of no budget and major pretentiousness. I found it humorous because these people were being so catty about different productions and singers, but the "host" kept losing the connection with the "panelists". Apparently they were having a rough day with Skype. You could clearly hear phones ringing and other distractions in the background. At least one of the panelists didn't know that she was a panelist. The host called her to ask about a production and just kept her on as an impromptu member of the panel. People kept leaving and coming back in again. I was imagining a guy in his mother's basement running his little podcast at his "command center." You should check it out in Itunes, but not too closely. Anyway...

What I need now is a video out cable that can go from the Ipod to a projector (In-Focus) and amplifier so I can show my students some of these really cool video podcasts. I won't share "Opera Now".

3 comments:

Kelly said...

My old iPod died a sad death this summer, complete with a graphic on the screen of a little frowning iPod. Woe is me. We haven't replaced it yet because, now that I spend most of my time at home with my computer and iTunes at the ready, I don't have much need for it. I think Airan would like to have one, though. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a video iPod.

What Dreams said...

Uncle Richard wants to know what kind of equipment Jack is using to accomplish this. It sounds like a great tool.
I use my iPod at work. I can listen to Ella and block out all the chaos around me.
And . . . Wonder of wonders, I can still get the ear buds still fit even with my hearing-aid tubes in there. My hearing is good enough that I don't need extra amplification to hear the iPod.
It doesn't block out the background noise as well, since I now hear through microphones on the back of my ears, but my powers of concentration have always been great for filtering out stuff I don't want to hear.

Heather said...

The microphone is called Micromemo by XtremeMac. We found it at the Mac Store in Boulder. It was aroung $50-$60. It seems to wrok really well.