Yesterday was a memorable day. Here's how the day unfolded. Jack and I both woke up earlier than our normal summer sleeping schedule to go have out blood drawn for testing. Neither of us has had a blood test in years. We had stopped eating earlier the night before so that we could have accurate fasting blood tests. We drove down to the hospital for the labwork about 7:45 AM. The hospital had my labwork request but Jack's had not shown up yet. Jack is someone who needs to eat in the morning as soon as he can put a sentence together. He was pretty hungry at that point. Jack knew the woman who was going to draw my blood. She was the parent of some of Jack's former students in Greeley. I guess she was just starting her internship in the lab and had only stuck a couple of people. You all know what a chicken I am regarding needles... She was nervous. I was nervous. We started to feed off each other. I only have one vein that works for blood draws and IVs. This poor woman was too scared to try for it. She had one of her supervisors do it. I have to say that it was the easiest stick I have ever had. I understand it is more difficult to stick someone you know. I felt bad for her but glad that she didn't stick me.
We left the hospital to await the opening of the doctor's office so that Jack could remind them to fax a form to the lab. An hour later, 10 by this time, he was able to go in to get his fasting blood test done. Poor guy went in and, like the generous teacher he is, had the intern take his blood. She tried in his left arm first but the vein rolled on her. She got on the second try in his right arm. So... that was the morning of this eventful day. More to come...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh, my. What's coming next?!
You and Airan should discuss drawing blood. He ends up passed out on the doctor's office floor more often than not. And with his high cholesterol, he has to have his blood checked fairly often. Poor guy.
jack i know hoiw you feel-going with out food.then your vains are saying come find me. but you get use to lots of needle pokes. when your diabetic.and low tyroid. so be brave. hugs grandma clark
Nice...so what was the reward for all this pain? I nice greasy McD's breakfast? Bloody Mary's? The dudes like suckers...but that's not nearly enough to dull the pain when you get older :)
Post a Comment